Domestic Violence Conference
Sponsored by KCMBF and the Missouri Lawyers Trust Account Foundation (IOLTA), the Domestic Violence & Children Interdisciplinary Conference is typically held annually in October to promote advocacy for the victims of domestic violence. Under the leadership of KCMBF, various legal, social service, medical and law enforcement agencies across the Kansas City metropolitan area collaborate to plan, promote and attend the conference aimed at providing essential interdisciplinary information, education and support to these crucial partners who support victims and work to eliminate domestic violence. Continuing Legal Education credit and Continuing Education Units are traditionally provided.
The objectives of the KCMBF Domestic Violence & Children Interdisciplinary Conference are as follows:
- Raise the awareness of domestic violence as a matter of public safety and social justice;
- Educate the interdisciplinary communities on emerging and key issues associated with working with victims and preventing domestic violence. Speakers and delegates will actively share strategies that work to end abuse across different communities;
- Develop new and continue existing partnerships with community allies that expand the domestic violence network;
- Provide networking tools and opportunities that will allow delegates to continue learning and teaching after the conference ends; and
- Support the strengthening or creation of networks through sessions that address how advocates can work together to increase their collaboration.
“Every time a victim of domestic violence reaches out for help in Jackson County, Mo., that victim benefits from professionals who work together as a team to ensure that meaningful help, support and services are available for the victim and the victim’s family. From the first responders of the police department to the judges who hear the civil and criminal cases, the victims of domestic violence benefit from the support of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Foundation” said Jill Katz, conference co-chair, 2012 and 2013. The Domestic Violence and Children Interdisciplinary Conference brings professionals together to emphasize the importance of working together and the importance of competency at every stage in the victim’s journey to safety.
The 2014 Domestic Violence & Children’s Interdisciplinary Conference will be held on Friday, October 10, 2014 at KCMBA. For more information on this year’s program, the brochure and registration form are available here, or you can register online here.
For more information about the Domestic Violence Conference, contact Tracey DeMarea at email@example.com.