KCMBA will post press releases and updates related to COVID-19 as they are received.
- 3/26/20 2:21pm: Division 30 Criminal Court dates. Read full press release here.
- 3/26/20 9:34am: Law360 is keeping a compiled listing of court closings and restrictions across the country due to COVID-19. View the listing here.
- 3/25/20 8:54am: SUPREME COURT OF MISSOURI: has issued a new order in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. More information here.
- 3/24/20 4:16pm: MISSOURI COURT OF APPEALS: March 24 update. Read full update here.
- 3/24/20 8:59am: MUNICIPAL COURT: Operational with limited resources. Read full press release here.
- 3/24/20 8:58am: MO COURT OF APPEALS: Temporary suspension of paper copies. Read full press release here.
- 3/22/20 9:45pm: Jackson County Circuit Court issues stay at home order. Read full press release here.
- 3/20/20 3:45pm: SUPREME COURT OF KANSAS: Read full press release here.
- 3/20/20 8:08am: In Re: Reporting to Jackson County Detention Center for Sentences of Less than Seven Days. Read full administrative order here.
- 3/19/20 2:45pm: Suspension of issuance of writs. Read full press release here.
- 3/19/20 10:00am: KCMBA Bench-Bar & Boardroom Conference cancellation and other programming changes. Read full announcement here.
- 3/18/20 5:53pm: MUNICIPAL COURT prohibits public entry past security All entry prohibited with COVID-19 symptoms or exposure. Read full press release here. Additional attorney information.
- 3/18/20 5:08pm: STATE COURTS on emergency operations until further notice. Read full press release here.
- 3/18/20 1:50pm: Notice regarding Grain Valley Municipal Court. Read full press release here .
- 3/18/20 10:50am: CRIM A SCHEDULING NOTICE: Read full press release here .
- 3/18/20 9:48am: Informational Advisory: How Litigants can find their rescheduled hearing date. Read full press release here .
- 3/17/20 12:22pm: NOTICE REGARDING INDEPENDENCE MUNICIPAL COURT PLEAS WITH CITY PROSECUTOR: Read full press release here.
- 3/17/20 12:06pm: 16th CIRCUIT COURT SCHEDULING NOTICE: Read full notice here.
- 3/16/20 5:49pm: SUPREME COURT OF MISSOURI: Order in response to COVID-19, read here.
- 3/16/20 5:46pm: KANSAS CITY MUNICIPAL COURT: Courthouse entry prohibited. Read full press release here.
- 3/16/20 2:53pm: DIVISION 33 16th CIRCUIT COURT: Updated press release.
- 3/16/20 1:30pm: SUPREME COURT OF MISSOURI: The full text of today’s order is available here. Also today, the Court announced certain changes regarding its own operations, available here.
- 3/16/20 1:27pm: DIVISION 33 16th CIRCUIT COURT: All high volume and certain other dockets will be rescheduled. See full press release here.
- 3/16/20 12:35pm: SUPREME COURT OF MISSOURI: Because Truman State has temporarily closed its campus due to COVID-19, we have moved oral arguments originally scheduled at the university on March 18 to the Court of Appeals. Attached is our press release announcing same. Read full press release here.
- 3/16/20 12:35pm: SUPREME COURT OF MISSOURI: In light of the attached order today from the Missouri Supreme Court, please be advised that we are cancelling oral arguments for the foreseeable future because of COVID-19. We apologize for all of the confusion lately and again thank you for dedicated service to the citizens of the State of Missouri.
- 3/16/20 10:30am: The 16th Judicial Circuit of Missouri Family Court Division: Read full press release here.
- 3/16/20 10:15am: The City of Independence announces changes in services, closures, cancellations as part of State of Emergency. Read the full announcement here.
- 3/13/20 2:00pm: Attention Attorneys. In addition to the information below here is what else you need to know about KCMO Municipal Court (read full press release here):
>> Prosecutors are still working. You can file your entry of appearance via email with the court (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request plea offers via email from the prosecutor’s office (email@example.com).
>> If you want to work out your cases on the date it is scheduled, judges and prosecutors will be available.
>> If you want to continue your cases to a particular date, you should file a continuance.
>> If you do not appear in court or file for a continuance the case will be continued and you will receive a notice.
- 3/13/20 10:06am: MUNICIPAL COURT CONTINUES CASES DUE TO COVID-19 STATE OF EMERGENCY: Municipal Court judges voted at an emergency Court en banc meeting Thursday to modify court operations in the interest of public health and after Mayor Quinton Lucas declared a State of Emergency allowing the City to take measures to reduce the possibility of exposure to COVID-19. In support of the City’s efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19 by limiting social contact, the Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court is taking the following actions:
>> Court hearings starting March 16 through April 10 for defendants not in custody will be continued to a later date except for Domestic Violence Court, Drug Court, Mental Health Court and Veterans Treatment Court cases which will be held as scheduled.
>> New court dates for continued cases will be mailed to defendants at the address on file. If you have a pending case, you must keep your address updated with the court. To update your address, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-513-2700.
>> All walk-in dockets from March 16 through April 10 are cancelled.
>> Probationers can contact their probation officers for possible alternatives to in-person reporting. You may contact your probation officer directly or by email at email@example.com or call 816-513-2700.
>> Victims and City witnesses should contact the City Prosecutor’s Office for information. You may contact the City Prosecutor’s office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 816-513-6750.
>> Municipal Court will remain open for business. Court employees should report to work as scheduled unless sick or taking scheduled time off.
>> Payments are encouraged to be made online at kcmo.gov/court or by mail at P.O Box 219381, Kansas City, MO 64121-9381.
Find court information and pay fines in full online at kcmo.gov/court. For more information, contact the 311 Action Center or email email@example.com.
- 3/13/20 9:32am: The Missouri Court of Appeals in Kansas City, Missouri has moved oral arguments scheduled for April 7 at Columbia College and April 8 at the University of Missouri Law School to the Court of Appeals building at 1300 Oak Street, Kansas City, MO. If you have any questions, please contact Susan Sonnenberg, Clerk of the Court, at Susan.Sonnenberg@courts.mo.gov. See the full Columbia College press release here, and the full University of Missouri press release here.
- 3/12/20 5:01pm: The Reinstatement Court and Implicit Bias continuing legal education class (CLE) will allow both in person and dial in attendance options. Attorneys who have registered may attend in person and receive lunch. The CLE is from Noon to 1:15 pm at Municipal Court 511 E. 11th Street. Those who wish to use the dial in option must call Phone number: 866-388-6636 and enter Access Code: 802 980 964#. The Missouri Bar has approved both in person and dial in options to receive the CLE credit for this session. It is unsure whether Kansas will accept the dial in method. A call out to KS CLE Commission.
- 3/12/20 5:00pm: The investiture ceremony for Municipal Court Judge Michael Heffernon, planned for Friday, March 13, 2020 is cancelled. Visit kcmo.gov for more COVID-19 updates from the City and kcmo.gov/court for updates from Municipal Court.
- 3/12/20 4:56pm: Due to the existence and spread of the COVID-19, the court administrator is ordered and authorized to suspend the impaneling of all jurors for the weeks of March 16, 2020 and March 23, 2020. All jury trials scheduled for the weeks of March 16, 2020 and March 23, 2020 are hereby continued and will be rescheduled to a later date. Read the full administrative order here.